BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Thrifting with my buddy! turned into Mad Pride?

Yesterday was so much fun. My friend Erin and I went to 4 different thrift stores in town and found some super cute things. I got a dress, a top, a skirt, a giant flower, a picture holder and maybe some other stuff. Oh, and we stopped at the Art Supply store and I bought a pastel set and some special pastel paper. I saw myself one morning when I had woken up to get in the shower of me with smeared makeup, naked (though nothing was showing), and my hair was down and my neck looked really long and slightly bent, and since then I've wanted to put that vision in pastels. I'm not seeing it as a beautiful, fairy picture but more dark, you know? Erin would get it. It'll be weird to be putting myself on paper though. I think though when it comes to art, I tend to be darker anyway. Maybe I'll become really good and create a festival of sorts for off-beat artists. That'd be awesome. I was looking the other day at this link I found to "mad pride" which is an organization for people with mental disabilities. But instead of trying to change who they are, they're embracing their abnormality, which I think is great as long as they're not a threat. Anyway, a bunch of them do lots of artwork to help cope and to help express themselves, and I've never seen art with such feeling before. Maybe it helps to know that yes, they are troubled. And yes, they love who they are anyway. I don't have any disabilities, I don't think. But it doesn't mean I'm not intrigued with the darker parts of life. Who isn't? Anyone who says they aren't are jsut saying it so others won't think they're dark. Anyway.... Here's the link to the article with pictures of the art some of these mad pride people haev created. I especially like the one of the blue skinned man...
http://www.newsweek.com/id/195476

0 comments: